Here comes the moment you've been all waiting for!..
Because the new FR2 revision is actually a whole remake, I renamed it to Canvas Rider; check out the changelist:
- Brand new rendering engine that provides a complete lag-free experience, even on fullscreen zoomed-out highly detailed tracks
In order to get the best performances, you need to update your browser to the very latest version. I recommend Chrome or Firefox.
- New asynchronous multiplayer feature
For each track, the best run will be saved as ghost that other players can watch or compete against!
- New unstretched fullscreen mode
- Unrestricted zoom: you can zoom-out way further than FR2.
- Improved checkpoints.
Checkpoints now save velocity and you can cancel them one by one with the backspace key.
- New track parser that loads tracks much faster.
- Minor GUI improvements.
I've also removed some features to make Canvas Rider lighter & simpler:
- Only vehicles are BMX & MTB.
They're what FR2 is about anyway: the other ones represent a ridiculous 5% of FR2DB tracks.
- No dynamic camera.
Dynamic camera is impossible on CR current rendering engine because I would have to add an extra "layer" of processing. I might work on it sometimes though.
- No background themes.
CR is meant to run tracks with crazy scenery!
- No quality setting.
CR isn't Flash so there's no actual quality setting, it's always high.
- No left menu.
It's been replaced by links & hotkeys.
- No track previewer.
Canvas Rider's new track parser & unrestricted zoom are faster and character count is now displayed next to the track name when you play it
Canvas Rider is so awesome I also had to make a new website for it, with a changelist too:
- New minimalistic FR2-style design with rideable banner.
- More tracks per page
- New voting system that tracks IPs instead of usernames (no registration required)
- New popular tracks and popular authors tracklists
I've been working really hard on CR during the whole summer so I'll take a well-deserved break before working on it again, but future updates might include:
- New scoring system with combos and the ability to save the most stylish run.
- Updated track editor
I guess you understant why it took a bit of time now...
Now enjoy your new favorite website: http://canvasrider.com
I let you guys play around and get used to it and I'll release the contest entries tomorrow
PS: Because they were recorded on a test version, some VIP ghosts might actually fail!.. Just report them to me